Did you know those fun gag gifts, cool wrapping paper and fancy ribbon are really a bad idea this holiday season?
Did you know…
- The average American spends $800 on holiday gifts totaling more than $465 billion.
- Around 50 percent of these holiday gifts hit the trash within a year.
- 5 billion pounds of holiday gifts end up in the landfills each year.
- Every year, Americans discard an estimated 38,000 miles of ribbon.
- Approximately 4.6 million lbs. of wrapping paper is produced in the U.S. each year, and about 2.3 million pounds ends up in landfills.
- Americans throw away 25% more trash during the Thanksgiving to New Year’s holiday period than any other time of year. The extra waste amounts to 25 million tons of garbage, or about 1 million extra tons per week!
Facts from a variety of sources including Stanford, Treehugger, Earth911, Optoro
Mind boggling facts! Buying gifts that folk don’t really want, wrapping them up in fancy paper and tying them with flashy ribbon is really a bad idea this holiday season!
How about we give the planet a gift this year?
How about we stop for a minute and rethink this year’s gift giving? What if instead of adding to the landfills we do some good? What if instead of buying a useless gift we did something really meaningful?
How about making a donation to a cause your loved one or friend cares about? Or would care about?
Imagine if that $465 billion was donated to end poverty or protect wildlife?
Imagine the impact we could have for good! We could literally change the world! Okay, so we can’t change what everyone else does this holiday season, but you and I sure can do our part to make a difference.
How about it? Instead of wracking your brain to find a throw-away gift why not choose a cause and make an honorary donation? Then encourage as many others to do the same.
Helping is easy…
100% of your charitable donation goes to help.