Quick and easy meatless Monday recipe vegetarian dish for the budget conscious.
This delightful dish is incredibly easy; the hardest part might be waiting for the pasta to be finished so that it can be eaten! With only 3 main ingredients, this is a scrumptiously pleasing budget meal. For some additional veggies, I like to add broccoli or peas to the sauce.
However, the type of cheese that is needed is quite specific, it needs to be a soft cheese like Boursin or Alouette. I generally use Boursin garlic and herb cheese, although Boursin comes in other varieties, I think that this one suits the recipe best. Generally, if you are serving more than three people, it is better to use two packages of cheese. The recipe below serves about three people.
- Pasta of your choice (The amount of pasta is flexible, more people, more pasta, about 1.5 uncooked cups)
- One package of cheese (e.g. Boursin)
- Splash of milk
- Raw veggies if desired (e.g. broccoli or peas)
- Bring water to a boil for the pasta. When the water is steadily boiling, add the pasta for the amount of time needed depending on the type. About halfway through the time needed for the pasta to cook, add the raw vegetables to the water, if desired.
- Start to melt the cheese in a smaller saucepan, stirring occasionally. When the cheese has just begun to melt, add a splash of milk, and keep stirring. By now the pasta should be almost finished cooking. When the cheese is fully melted and it is the consistency of a sauce, remove it from the heat.
- Drain the pasta (and vegetables) when it is ready, and return to the pot. Add the sauce and stir, to get all the pasta coated in the creamy sauce.
- Serve, and enjoy.
Contributed by Nikela Volunteer Colleen George