Demi Moore, Favorite Wildlife Friday, wildlife conservation.
This week’s Favorite Wildlife Friday features an animal actress Demi Moore campaigned to stop cruelty against in circuses.
Who am I?
- My mother was pregnant with me for nearly 22 months; which is the longest pregnancy of any land animal.
- I weighed around 100 kg at birth and can reach 6,000 kg in adulthood.
- Females live in family herds with their calves, while adult males have to fend for themselves.
- I have a diverse vegetarian diet, feeding on grasses, bark, twigs, leaves, fruit and seeds.
- I travel vast distances each day in search of enough food and water to fuel my huge body.
- I have big ears which I flap to help keep me cool in the hot African climate.
- I’m highly intelligent, showing concern for injured members of my herd and appearing to mourn the death of a relative.
- My species is threatened by extinction due to habitat loss, poaching and conflict with humans.
Have you guessed?
I’m the African elephant, with sub-species found throughout sub-Saharan Africa and central and west African rainforests. Demi Moore campaigned successfully for a ban on circuses using cruel bullhooks while training me. Thank you Demi!
Blog post information by Nikela volunteer Danielle Boobyer